Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Andrew Werner-SP San Diego Padres September 7th, 2012



Andrew Werner never gave up on a big league dream.  After pitching for The University of Indianapolis, he was signed in 2009 as an undrafted free agent by an Independent team called the Evansville Otters.  He pitched with them for 2 seasons and then took a chance on a big league career.  He borrowed some money and went to a camp put on by the San Diego Padres.  He impressed the Padres, who immediately signed him and sent Andrew to Fort Wayne, their Low-A Ball team.  From there, Andrew climbed the minor league ladder and on August 22nd, 2012, the Padres called him up from Tucson to pitch against the Pittsburgh Pirates.  Pitching more like a veteran than a rookie, he only allowed 2 runs in 6 innings and got the win.  He has pitched well in each of his starts, and it looks like the Padres have found a keeper in Andrew.

Before the game, I sat down in my usual spot near the visitors bullpen.  I brought with me an Evansville Otters shirt, hoping Andrew would sign it.  He walked by me and I yelled out to him and held the shirt up.  He walked over and signed the shirt and talked to me and my friend Rebecca for a few minutes (she is friends with a lady whose son roomed with Andrew in college.)  I asked Andrew if he would do a video of me asking who his favorite player is, and he graciously said yes.  I want to thank you Andrew for your time and may God Bless you and your family.






No comments:

Post a Comment