Total Pageviews

Friday, April 27, 2012

Randy Jones Former SP San Diego Padres 1976 NL Cy Young Winner April 26th 2012

Growing up in San Diego, one of my favorite players was Randy Jones.  He was a left-hander with a huge afro and a devastating sinker, a pitch that drove hitters nuts.  In 1976, he won the National League Cy Young awards winning 22 games and pitching a staggering 25 complete games!  Due to an arm injury, he was forced to retire in 1980, but Randy Jones will always hold a special place in my heart as my first favorite Padre.  Last night, I went to Lolita's after the ballgame to listen to the post-game show in person and Randy was there broadcasting with Ted Mendenhall.  I waited until they went to commercial and walked up to Randy and asked him to sign my ball and asked him who his favorite player was and why. Randy responded, "Sandy Koufax, enough said," and he started to sign my ball.  I told him how I was one of those kids who watched him pitch the year he won the CY Young Award. He continued to sign my ball and handed it back to me and shook my hand.  He added to his signature 1976 N.L. Cy.  I will always keep this ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment